Monday, May 16, 2011

IN THE BEGINNING

     This story really begins before I, or any of us were born.  It begins with my parents, Richard and Sue Holms.  They were young, just 16 and 18 years old when they met.  They would be married 16 years and that marriage would end in divorce.  But in the beginning they were in love.  I know this because my mother saved things.  Letters written between she and her friends when she was 15 years old, letters between she and my dad, poems she wrote and a diary she kept for almost 2 years from the time she was 16 years old until she was 17 years old, 7 months before I was born.  Through these letters I was able to put together a pretty complete scenario of their early years together. I found these things interesting not only because of the insight I gained into their lives and thus mine, but also because it is written during a time in the early 60's.  I found it fascinating to go back in time and see it through a young girl's mind.  I know I was conceived in love and I also know that there was a lot of controversy around the pregnancy and that some people wanted my mother to abort the pregnancy (me) so I'm glad I'm here today telling this story.  I am the oldest of five children that would be born to them.  My name is Debbie.
  Anyways, my parents met in high school in the small town of La Junta, Colorado.  Not in the pretty area of Colorado, near the mountains but in more of a dull, flat place.  But the mountains were only an hour or so away.  The town was primarily a farming and ranching community and my dad's family had roots pretty deep there with lots of Aunts, Uncles and Cousins.  I remember dad wearing cowboy hats daily and friends and family with various ranches and farms.  Get-togethers with homegrown food and kind country people.  This was before Wal Marts and big chain grocery stores.  You had your downtown Randall's Drug Store, small individually owned clothing Stores, churches and a very nice park with a duck pond in the middle that would freeze over in the winter and then there was ice skating.  This is where all of us kids would be born, except for my sister Jill who was born in Fort Collins, Colorado and it was a nice place.  Still is.

No comments:

Post a Comment